Many types of wood are available in the market, and people use them for different purposes. Some popular ones include teak wood, Sheesham wood and rubber wood. Another popular option in India is Vengai Wood. Some people often compare teak wood with vengai wood, but do you know the difference between them? We have shared more information on this page about vengai wood and teak wood. In addition, we have shared the advantages as well as disadvantages of these two types of wood so that you can establish a proper comparison between the two. So, let us go ahead and learn more about vengai wood and teak wood.
What is Teak Wood?
Teak wood is a tropical hardwood tree with a leather-like smell when milled. As the name suggests, teak wood is harvested from the teak tree, and these are the natives of Malaysia, Bangladesh, Indonesia, India, Myanmar, Sri Lanka and Thailand. Teak wood is known to darken as it ages. Teak is a commonly cultivated tree in these areas, and the wood is also very popular.
Advantages of Teak Wood
- Boat Building–Teak wood is known for its water resistance. It doesn’t rot away in water, and it remains stable. This is also why teak wood has been preferred for boat building for centuries.
- Easy To Work –It is easy to work with teak wood. You will find many craftsmen who prefer working on teak wood than any other option. Moreover, you can easily polish the teak wood, and it doesn’t require much maintenance.
- Durability& Appeal– Teak wood is highly durable, and at the same time, it is also very aesthetically appealing. It is considered one of the most beautiful wood because of its grain patterns. The natural golden-brown hue makes it a preferred choice for furniture.
- Natural Oil – Teak wood also contains some natural oils which protect it from termites, decay, and other insects. This way, your furniture lasts longer, so teak wood becomes a preferred choice for most families.
- Water Resistance– One of the best things about teak wood is that it is water-resistant. You can use it to make outdoor furniture, deck, or construction. In such a case, the demand for teak wood is usually very high.
Disadvantages of Teak Wood
- Difficult to Procure– One of the disadvantages of teak wood is that it is difficult to procure high-quality teak wood. Most of it goes into the boat-building industry, so you may get conned. Many suppliers sell teak-covered or teak-oiled wood to trick the buyers.
- Expensive– Teak wood is expensive. It is not as expensive as vengai wood, but still expensive. So, we recommend taking a quote before you place the order.
What is Vengai Wood?
Vengai wood is also known as Merbau. In some areas, it is referred to as Kwila wood. This type of wood is hardwood with a yellow-brownish colour. Sometimes, vengai wood may contain a gold fleck that runs through the grain of the block. It is a very attractive good, and it is very popular in the southern part of the country.
Advantages of Vengai Wood
- Appearance– Vengai wood is very appealing to the eyes. After cutting the wood, it retains a reddish brown colour with a dark tone. In addition, you may find yellow mineral deposits throughout the wood, which has a colour similar to that of the goal.
- Considered Holy– In India, vengai wood is considered to be holy. You will find many people make their front doors using vengai wood. It is also extensively used in temples for making doors and chariots.
- Fire Resistant– It is known that vengai wood is resistant to bushfires. In such a case, the wood doesn’t burn easily when exposed to direct heat. This is also one of the reasons why people prefer using vengai wood for the main door.
- Natural Oils – Vengai wood also contains natural oils, which makes it naturally resistant to termites and other insect infestations. In such a case, it becomes easy to maintain vengai wood, and you don’t have to worry about pest control.
- Sturdy and Durable– Working with vengai wood is easy, and at the same time, it is a very sturdy wood. The wood is very stable and can be used for almost any application where you need durable and sturdy wood.
Disadvantages of Vengai Wood
- Expensive -Vengai wood is expensive, so you will find limited people using it. The sticker price of vengai wood is much more than that of teakwood. So, you may only use this if budget is not a problem.
- Moisture May Damage – Vengai wood should be kept away from moisture. Exposure to moisture or water logging may lead to staining of the wood. While procuring vengai wood, you must also avoid buying old stock.
This was all about the vengai wood and the teak wood. By going through the details, you would have realized that both these woods are expensive; however, there is one major difference between the two. Teak wood has a much higher water resistance when compared with the vengai wood. So, if you are unsure which wood to use, you must first understand the purpose, and if the wood is going to be exposed to water, then teak wood should be your choice.